Treat yourself and that special someone to a healthy alternative to the Twix Bar! Compliments of our in house Nutritionist Candace Morgan!
· 1 cup coconut flour
· 1/2 cup coconut oil
· 1/4 cup raw honey or pure maple syrup
20-24 large soft dates, seed removed
9 ounces chocolate chips, melted
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
· In a small bowl mix together, the shortbread cookie ingredients to form a dough (it will look like wet sand).
· Press the dough into an 8×4 rectangle on a lined baking sheet. Dough should be about 1/2 inch thick.
· Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until edges are golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes. Put in the refrigerator to help set the crust.
· For the caramel, add the dates to a food processor and process until a paste is formed, scraping down the sides as needed.
· Spread the date caramel evenly over the cooled shortbread cookie with an offset spatula and store in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
· Cut into 12 bars and coat with melted chocolate (I melted mine in a bowl over a pot of boiling water).
· To coat with chocolate, place the individual bar into a fork. Hold the fork over the chocolate bowl Use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the top and gently tap the fork on the edge of the chocolate bowl to remove excess chocolate.
· Allow to set on a lined baking sheet in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
· Store in an airtight container for up to one week.